Monday, March 10, 2008

Another Fucking Blog?

Go ahead, ask the obvious question. Another blog about models? Well, yes, I guess I have fallen victim to the desire to broadcast my own dribble across a larger medium. Hey, don't fault me. In our modern times everyone has an outlet to project their enthusiastic opinions, and perhaps this will be mine. If the truth be told, I'm just a disenfranchised modelista (and that has such a better tone than 'modelphile' or 'modelizer,' both of which, in my opinion, come across needlessly perverse) who has grown tired of other so called model watchers and fashion enthusiasts alike namedropping only the upper-echelon of models in order to appear 'in the know.' The fact of the matter is that blindly mentioning Gemma Ward, Agyness Deyn, or Lara Stone does not make one appear well-versed; instead, for me, it connotes the exact opposite. These fleeting and passing mentions come across as second thoughts. Where were these mentions during Lara's infamous Sisley campaign? Did we simply overlook Jourdan Dunn's two other seasons until she appeared on the Prada runway? More over, this cannot possibly make one appreciative of the work it takes to get from industry unknown, to Gemma-like iconic status. Sure, sometimes it just takes a Russell Marsh exclusive booking for Prada to send your status skyrocketing, but for most new faces, that is not always the case.

Hey, I'm not trying to take away any joy from the success that our modern day, neo-supers have created. In fact, I could not be happier to see that people are developing an interest in models again. I just think that if you want to be informed, there is a certain responsibility to understand the starting point for those careers. So, I present The Fresh Face in hopes of creating recognition for these up-and-comers; those aspirational young girls who could very well be on their way to bigger and better things. Take from it what you will...

That being said, my opinion certainly does not matter more than anyone else's, and my opinion is mine alone and does not reflect the views of any agency, casting director, fashion house, management team, booker, or model that is discussed in this blog. Faux legal bullshit aside, these really are just my opinions. I would like to think that I have a fairly keen eye for talent and potential, certainly not as tested and bankable as professionals in the scouting field, but proven in my own amateur mediums.

Regardless of how professionally inexperienced I may be, this is my passion (and I wish I was speaking hyperbolically). The esoteric idea that a single signing can shape and mold what casual observers may consider beautiful is a powerful and aspirational concept to me. I still remember the first time I saw Kristen McMenamy (and yes at the time, I was way behind the learning curve, but I was also in high school). I was simply amazed by the angles of her cheekbones, and the sharp contrast between her androgynous qualities against those luminous eyes. Everything about her beauty was conflicting with what the majority of us, myself included, were taught to accept as beautiful. After that encounter, I really began to appreciate the plethora of features and aesthetics that can be conceived as beautiful. For me, that 'meeting' epitomized the aesthetic power of modeling. That being said, my taste will not always be akin to that of others, and I'm fine with that. I just hope that other people can be tolerate of that potential discrepancy.

I hope that anyone who comes across this page will enjoy what I am trying to do.

No comments: