Friday, March 14, 2008

Fresh Faced: Joice Monback

I would be a horrible liar if I ever claimed to be anything less than a devotee of the work that Paul Rowland and his entire team have done in creating the Supreme brand. And yes, at this point it is a brand. When a casting director books a girl from Supreme there is a certain lifestyle and unspoken 'cool' that comes attached with that girl, and in turn with the designer's brand. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a simple blind follower. Actually, I have a deep seeded appreciation for the manner in which their models have challenged my ideas of beauty ever since Autumn Hyle and the late Heather Bratton (and yes, I am well aware that the history dates back before those two girls). Whether or not the Supreme girls are your particular taste, you must hand it to that entire team for marketing interesting, intelligent beauty and art so purposefully (and so fucking consistently too), throughout the modeling industry.

That declaration aside, after the strong, harsh beauty of past, a majority of their new signings possess an understated beauty with a twist, and Joice Maria Monback is no exception. Hot on the heels of breakout star Natalia Schueroff and doe-eyed Thaysse Ricci, fellow Brazilian Joice has a serene appeal which makes her somewhat alien features all the more appealing.


(all images courtesy of Supreme)

Hailing from the new redesigned Ten Management in Brazil, I have hopes that Joice will eventually make a strong debut on the runways come September. Until then, she has plenty of time to develop, and in that process I cannot wait to see what her polaroids for Supreme will look like.

Joice may be a bit short, for my personal tastes, at only 5'9.5", but that didn't hinder Natalia from appearing at quite an enviable list of shows this past season. Combine the uncanny management capabilities of Supreme with Joice's intrinsic ethereal appeal, and she could do quite well in the future.

No comments: